Americana Celebration in Old Sacramento Over Labor Day Weekend | Events
Come one, come all! An “Americana in Old Sacramento” celebration awaits visitors to the popular historic district over Labor Day weekend complete with free live music, classic cars and vintage vehicles -- such as 1950s-era buses, emergency vehicles and taxi cabs. In addition, a variety of special evening events and various museum-related activities are planned for the extended holiday weekend.
With the support of involved city leaders and in collaboration with the Old Sacramento Business Association (OSBA), California State Parks and the Historic Old Sacramento Foundation (HOSF), the Sacramento Convention & Visitors Bureau (SCVB) has announced a festive, fun and full line-up of Labor Day weekend activities in Old Sacramento.
A sampling of the “Americana in Old Sacramento” celebratory activities include the following:
- FREE live music -- along with an always-popular beer garden -- at Waterfront Park on Saturday from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. and on Sunday from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. featuring popular bands such as the Garratt Wilkin and the Parrotheads (Saturday evening), Madison Hudson Band, Rachel Steele & Road 88, 27 Outlaws and the Cripple Creek Band. As an added musical treat, live gospel music will be featured on Sunday morning at 10 a.m.;
- A robust display of eye-catching classic cars on special display along Front Street provided by the California Automobile Museum all three days;
- An exciting display of vintage vehicles on the 1849 Scene in Old Sacramento State Historic Park (Front & I streets) that will include four vintage buses provided by the Pacific Bus Museum, a vintage steam locomotive, caboose, Union Pacific bus and rail-mounted fire engine provided by California State Parks, two other vintage fire engines, a 1954 Ford Mainline police car and two vintage taxi cabs. Visitors will have the opportunity to climb aboard or inside many of these vintage vehicles. Additionally, the Central Pacific Railroad Passenger Station will be open (free) for visitors to view pieces of the Railroad Museum collection that are not generally seen by the public.
Plus, a few of the special evening activities happening in Old Sacramento include the following:
- “Thursday Night at the Museums” is offered by the California State Railroad Museum and the Sacramento History Museum, both of which are open extended Thursday hours until 8 p.m. (regular museum admission applies);
- “History Happy Hour” on Thursday evening at the Crocker Art Museum with docent-led spotlight tours (regular museum admission applies);
- Beer Crawl in Old Sacramento on Friday evening from 6 p.m. until midnight with ten beers and ten bars ($10 per adult);
- FREE Country Western Dance Party on Saturday evening from 7 to 10 p.m. at Waterfront Park;
- Old Sacramento offers great vantage points to watch the FREE Fireworks Saturday festivities following the River Cats game that evening;
- Old Sacramento Speakeasy Tour on Sunday evening from 5 to 7 p.m. provided by the Downtown Sacramento Partnership (DSP) for a cost of $15 per person;
- FREE Outdoor Movie showing of Pale Rider starring Clint Eastwood on Sunday evening at 8 p.m. on the 1849 Scene.
In addition, Old Sacramento is home to more than 100 shops, eateries and entertainment venues -- many of which are offering special activities -- along with a number of museums and attractions that are offering expanded tour schedules and holiday weekend activities, including:
- California State Railroad Museum is offering excursion train rides hourly from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday through Monday plus an “All Aboard for Story Time!” reading activity on Monday at 11 & 11:30 a.m.;
- Crocker Art Museum is presenting a FREE Little Buckaroos Day on Monday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. where families can enjoy live performances, craft-making demos, art-making and a petting zoo;
- Hornblower Cruises & Events is offering river cruises on Friday at 1:30 p.m., 3 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. and on Saturday and Sunday at 10:30 a.m., noon, 1:30 p.m., 3 p.m., and 4:30 p.m.;
- Sacramento History Museum is offering expanded Old Sacramento Underground tours which depart every 30 minutes from 10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. all three days (Saturday through Monday). Additionally, Old Sacramento Walking Tours will be available all three days at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. Plus, the History Museum is offering half-price admission on Labor Day to visitors with an active union card;
- Old Sacramento Schoolhouse Museum (which is always FREE admission) is offering numerous activities such as having the Capitol Division of the Embroiderers' Guild on-site to instruct visitors about how to embroider and make a California mission on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.; the Woodcarvers Association will be in the school yard on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. to show visitors how to carve wood (using soap and plastic knives); and Monday is “Tom Sawyer Day” from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. where children have the hands-on opportunity to help re-paint the Schoolhouse’s white picket fence (supplies provided);
- Wells Fargo History Museum (which is always FREE admission) is offering special “hands on banking” activities for kids and giveaways for those who participate, while supplies last.
For a complete and continually updated listing of Labor Day weekend activities happening in Old Sacramento, please visit www.oldsacramento.com.