Combat veteran wrongly accused of 'stolen valor' attacked; suspects still on the loose | News
Title (Max 100 Characters)
SACRAMENTO- A brutal attack on a military veteran at a bar off Arden Way and Eastern Avenue in Sacramento has left him with a fractured leg and possibly a fractured jaw.
The victim said he was attacked and accused of an offensive crime: 'stolen valor.' Now, his wife and authorities are looking for help to find his two attackers. It happened in the parking lot right outside the Long Shot bar late Saturday night.
"The first hit came from the bigger of the two guys," said Lauren Delfin.
One of the alleged attackers said he was with the Air Force and stationed at Travis Air Force Base, according to Delfin. That man claimed Michael was impersonating a member of the military.
According to Delfin, earlier in the night, the man asked Michael for his military identification.
Because it was not an active duty i.d., the man claimed Michael never served. During the attack, Michael said one of the guys yelled "stolen valor" at him.
Michael, a father of 4 four young kids, served honorably in the United States Marine Corps for 12 years.
"I would like them to be brought to justice-- both of them," Delfin said. "You should never do that to another veteran, to another brother that has served."
After the assault, Delfin reached out to friends on Facebook hoping to spread the word and find the attackers. She was there that night, hours before the attack and saw both men briefly.
She said one of them has dark hair and is about 6 foot 5 inches tall, and was wearing clothes with an Oregon sports team logo.
"On his right shoulder, there's a tattoo of something that looks like a grim reaper in dark colors. on his forearm, he has a microphone with notes," Delfin said.
Delfin said the other man was wearing a shirt with a painting company logo.
The bar owner said she talked to one of the two alleged attackers Saturday night. She has no clue who both men are and that they had never been to the bar before.
She said one of the men said he lived locally, the other one was visiting from out of town.
The bar has several surveillance cameras the sheriff's department intends to review as evidence.
It has no comment on the case at the moment because the victim just filed his report Tuesday and it's still being processed.
Anyone with information about the attack should contact the Sacramento County Sheriff's department.
A GoFundMe account has been started under "Michael Delfin Fund."
Delfin says Michael's medical costs are covered by the V.A. "But he is out of work while He recovers from this unjustified attack."






